Green Space Alliance
In 2014 a group of Western Australian amenity horticulture industry groups and aligned organisations formed the Green Space Alliance (GSA). Prior to the formation of the GSA, Western Australian Government Ministers and their Departments would interact with a number of individual groups on industry matters. The GSA recognised that a coordinated voice would provide the means for efficient and clear communication and so came together to develop a shared position on issues impacting industry and the community more broadly.
In Western Australia, green space is supported by a strong, dynamic amenity horticulture industry which provides jobs for an estimated 12,000 people and an annual turn-over of $1.7 billion (WA Turf Industry, 2012).
The GSA defines green space as all vegetated areas (vegetation inclusive of trees, shrubs, flowers and turf) on public and private land, including:
The GSA wishes to emphasise that quality green space is well-designed, well-constructed and well maintained.
The GSA will lead and coordinate industry communications and advocacy efforts to promote better policy outcomes for Perth and will provide the following services on behalf of Perth’s green space industry:
- Improve the health, wellbeing and liveability of the community and Perth.
- Prioritise water resources, improve water management practices and support ongoing research and demonstration of innovation to sustain quality green space.
- Place greater prominence on green space in the planning process and prioritise the creation of sufficient, quality designed public and private open space.
- Recognise Perth’s unique green space and enhance biodiversity protection and management practices.
- Acknowledge the value of the economic benefits green space generates for Western Australia and ensure appropriate resourcing and funding.
- Promote ground-up engagement and communication across the community, industry and government to increase end-user involvement, and support social equity outcomes.
|GSA Member Organisations||GSA Observing Organisations|
|City of Belmont||Urban Development Institute of Australia WA|
|Nursery & Garden Industry Association WA||Horticulture Media Association Australia WA|
|Landscape Industries Association WA||Water Corporation of Western Australia|
|Tree Guild WA||The Department of Water|
|Turf Growers Association WA||The Department of Sport and Recreation|
|Sports Turf Association (WA)|
|Parks & Leisure WA|
|Australian Institute of Horticulture|
|Australian Institute of Landscape Architects|
|Grey Water Industry Group|